June Birchbox

June Birchbox

Hello everyone! I’m back! I weirdly have a bunch of posts already written, with pictures taken and everything, and just never got around to/felt like posting. Does that happen to anyone else?

Anyway, it’s time for my June Birchbox! I really liked this month’s box (maybe even loved).

The theme: Everyday magic. It’s a cute theme, but I feel like I’ve had similar ones in the past with the everyday claim. I also feel like it kind of ties in with the new Now You See Me movie coming out soon, but it could be a coincidence?

The box: Lots of pastel triangles with that pretty gradient effect. Personally, I’m not super crazy over the grays in the bottom right, but otherwise a great design.

The goodies:

Benefit Gimme Brow Gel in 3 Medium
Laura Geller Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator in Gilded Honey
The Beauty Crop PB&J Smoothie Stick in Raisin the Roof
Avene Thermal Spring Water
COOLA Environmental Repair Plus Radical Recovery After Sun Lotion

There was also a card advertising Benefit’s new Brow Collection (some products are just new packaging), and in keeping with the theme, is called Abracada-brow! Cute.


The Benefit brow gel:

I am so excited that Benefit expanded their shade line! I’ve complained about this in the past, since I was between shades and didn’t know which to go with when I bought this in the past. I still feel like three shades is a bit small – having a more ashy and more reddish shade would help lighter brows – but this numbering system may mean that they can expand on this in the future.

Onto the actual product, I like it and found it to be the same formula as before, but in a more flattering shade than my previous Light/Medium. I love the tiny brush, as well. The new packaging looks nice, especially at a distance, but it really feels cheap and too lightweight. That’s the main letdown of this new line.

The Laura Geller highlighter:

It’s a very pretty gold shade that can be built up or sheered out for a more natural glow. The shade is light enough for my skin, and actually seems to match it pretty well. I really like the swirl pattern on the packaging, and that the sample does include it. But when I dip my brush in it, little flakes of product get on the packaging. They look kind of chunky like glitter, but this highlight is very finely milled.

The Beauty Crop lip crayon:

Can we just say that Raisin the Roof is an adorable name for a food-based product? It goes on smoothly and is a pretty pale mauve-y/blue-toned pink sort of color. It’s not super pigmented, so is still very wearable for my skin tone. It smells a bit weird, kind of like a chemically fake fruit scent, but it isn’t that noticeable once it’s on the lips. I haven’t worn it yet for extended periods of time so can’t say how moisturizing or long-lasting this is.

The Avene spray:

This seems like a perfect thing on a hot summer day. I’ll use this throughout the day when I want a spritz of hydration or the cooling feeling. Maybe also if my skin is feeling sensitive. While it is nice, it is pretty much just water in a mister, so I feel like I’m missing the point.

The COOLA after-sun lotion:

Yet another COOLA product with a confusing and too-long name. I like the packaging’s layout and color scheme better than their BB cream and moisturizer. I really like the scent, which is mainly lavender and rosemary. I’ve never actually used an after-sun lotion before, so I’m not sure exactly what it is meant to do. This says that it moisturizes, which it does, but it also feels a bit thick. And while I like that many of the ingredients are natural, I’m confused as to how COOLA got away with only listing the organic ingredients (which they state is only 70% of the ingredients). I’m guessing the other 30% is mainly water.

The verdict: A really nice box! I was happily surprised at how many makeup samples were in here, since usually it feels like there’s only one or two and that they’re not always from well-known brands like Benefit. Now it’s time to redeem my 400 Birchbox points!

-xo, Andi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: